Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Recommended video file settings for Kodi?
I've been messing around with my Retrostone2 today, and have got an ssd installed and auto-mounting on boot (just for additional storage, not running RetroPie off it)

I figured with all this extra space i'll add some video files to watch on the go, i tested a few files and (probably obviously) stuff like 1080p content doesn't like running and i've had other files turn the screen to a green glitchy mess - some of my older divx content works great though.

So as i'm not familiar with Kodi or the retrostone hardware I was wondering if anyone had some settings i could plug into Handbrake or something similar to transcode my videos into something more Kodi/Retrostone friendly?
(01-27-2020, 05:26 PM)Sayres_Law Wrote: I've been messing around with my Retrostone2 today, and have got an ssd installed and auto-mounting on boot (just for additional storage, not running RetroPie off it)
Hi Sayres_Law

I presume you unscrewed the RS2 and opened it up and fitted an SSD? 
Was there any particular type or model of SSD required?
Did you then ssh into the RS2 and use parted/gparted to format it? Including getting it to auto-mount via FSTAB? 

Just looking to do all of that in due course... your experience most appreciated.
(01-27-2020, 06:17 PM)umbongodrink Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 05:26 PM)Sayres_Law Wrote: I've been messing around with my Retrostone2 today, and have got an ssd installed and auto-mounting on boot (just for additional storage, not running RetroPie off it)
Hi Sayres_Law

I presume you unscrewed the RS2 and opened it up and fitted an SSD? 
Was there any particular type or model of SSD required?
Did you then ssh into the RS2 and use parted/gparted to format it? Including getting it to auto-mount via FSTAB? 

Just looking to do all of that in due course... your experience most appreciated.
Yeah, unscrewed the RS2, popped in a spare m.2 sata ssd (2242 form factor) i had, honestly the longest part of the process was find a screw to hold the ssd down as the neither the ssd nor the rs2 had one included xD

I loaded into the Ambian desktop on the RS2 itself, and then in terminal ran parted to format the drive to ext4, used e2label to rename it to "SSD". I then edited the fstab to auto-mount it at boot "/dev/sda   /mnt/SSD  ext4   defaults    0   0"
at the moment 640x480 with MPEG-4 part 2 video and AAC audio

we're investigating how to fully take advantage of hardware acceleration in A20 CPU
(01-28-2020, 02:23 PM)alexkidd Wrote: at the moment 640x480 with MPEG-4 part 2 video and AAC audio

we're investigating how to fully take advantage of hardware acceleration in A20 CPU

Thanks  Smile
btw, some of the videos should magically work without green artifacts if you disable PRIME rendering in Player section (it wont be too smooth anyway as it will rely on CPU. not GPU)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slow and laggy video previews rolle 8 1,769 06-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  [split] Video resolution change jblakes34 2 617 05-25-2020, 05:33 PM
  Some video’s of me playing some emulators Marco Verhoeven 4 2,235 02-21-2020, 01:28 AM
  Is There A Character Limit For File Names? Valden 2 777 01-30-2020, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Valden