Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAME Controls (libretro MAME 2003 0.78set)
Hello 

I have added ROMs into ~/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/ folder. 
I have a curious problem - for some of the games, none of the buttons work. 

I'm not sure if this has happened since applying the latest patch or not, I may be mistaken. 
For example, I had my RetroStone 2 running the Jan23rd Beta image. All games working ok, pressing Select adds credits, pressing Start begins the game. This is working on, for example, Simpsons 2 Player and Final Fight. 

I then applied the patch from the 5th Feb (wget http://retrorangepi.download/bugfix.tar.gz). I then added more ROMs, e.g. Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Marvel vs Capcom 1. Both these ROMs load ok, but no buttons work for them. 

If I load up Simpsons 2 Player or Final Fight, the controls are still working. If I load up ROMs from other systems/emulators, for example, Game Boy or NES, the controls are still working. 

So I don't necessarily want to do a global change such as Start > Emulation Station ROPI 4.3 Menu > Configure Input if I don't have to? (I remember doing that in the past and potentially confusing my system, particularly with regards to getting the Hotkey combination of Select + Start correct)

Any help most appreciated, to be able to get the controls working for those MAME games. 

Also, one other question: a game such as Marvel vs Capcom 2 - which Emulator (or version of MAME, or FBA etc...?) would that be compatible with please? 

Thanks a lot.
From the bugfix changelog
mame2003 libretro core set to default, fixed insert coin bug when Select is the combo hotkey (use L2 now);

For this, copy ROMs to arcade folder instead
(02-09-2020, 04:55 PM)alexkidd Wrote: From the bugfix changelog
mame2003 libretro core set to default, fixed insert coin bug when Select is the combo hotkey (use L2 now);

For this, copy ROMs to arcade folder instead

Thank you Alexkidd for the super-speedy response!!

Ok so I moved the Street Fighter Alpha 3 rom to the roms/arcade directory. I just left it at that level, not in the subdirectories of mame2003 or mame2003-plus. 

What happens now is that I can insert coin with L2 (as your note says) and I can press start. 

However I cannot move using the D-Pad? Any thoughts?
I copied simpsons (mame2003) and sfa3 (fbalpha2012)
to arcade and they both ran fine
Then tried violent storm, dpad didn't work, changing the following setting did the trick (quick menu - options)

[attachment=354]
(02-09-2020, 08:13 PM)alexkidd Wrote: I copied simpsons (mame2003) and sfa3 (fbalpha2012)
to arcade and they both ran fine
Then tried violent storm, dpad didn't work, changing the following setting did the trick (quick menu - options)

sorry Alexkidd could you remind me how to get to the RetroArch screen your referring to please? What are the steps? 

Also, you used fbalpha2012 as the core for sfa3, did you do that by pressing a button as the game was loading and choosing a different core then? (the default on my system is lr-mame2003-plus)
Select + X, then pressing yellow once should get you to the main menu. then Quick Menu - Options

With roms in arcade folder, you get more core options

it seems only lr-mame2003-plus has that option Control mapping (analog/digital). Since last bugfix, the analog dpad mode was removed from configuration to avoid the persistant left/down bug
If you put your arcade roms in the arcade rom folder, you will be able to select any of the available MAMA and FBA emulators during launch by pressing A when prompted. If you don't want to have a big list or like having them split by emulator, you can use the arcade rom folder to determine emulator compatibility.
@umbongodrink forgot to reply about MvC2 , it works on the Dreamcast emulator, it should get better controller support on next bugfix update

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mame controls missing Mika73 1 566 02-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  Mame set? Stargx 4 1,034 01-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Marco Verhoeven