Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximum SD Card size ?
Hello,

Is there any Software or hardware limit to the size of the SD card ?

Thx
in theory, you could go with 128GB but in pratice, i've had a lot of corruption problems with two fresh Sandisk SD card, and no problems with 64GB card.
SO 64GB is your best option for stability.
And also, take sd card A1 is better
I can confirm that 64gb is ok but 128gb gives problems.
(02-15-2020, 12:51 PM)Marco Verhoeven Wrote: I can confirm that 64gb is ok but 128gb gives problems.

I use a Sandisk 200gb card without any troubles (not yet ?)
I've tried a lot of things now.
Formatting with NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, with or without an active partition, using the whole space for partitioning or leaving some hundred MB free, ...
With 8, 32 (two different), 64GB SD cards nothing worked. Every time a black screen, only the 16GB Card that was delivered with the Retrostone2 was working.
Than I tried to write the ISO to the SD card with "RUFUS.ie", I did not make any additional settings (as above) and then it worked with all 4 SD cards that did not work before ...
So I would suggest to use Rufus instead of Win32DiskImager or UNetbootin.
Can you please also test with Rufus with SD-Catrds that did not work before?
I've been using Etcher without issues too. All my sd cards are 32GB or smaller.

Once in a blue moon, i need to delete partitions in AOMEI.
(02-15-2020, 11:53 PM)alexkidd Wrote: I've been using Etcher without issues too. All my sd cards are 32GB or smaller.

Once in a blue moon, i need to delete partitions in AOMEI.

Rufus writes the Linux image (not the content of the Iso, but the content of the content of the iso ...) directly to the SD card as EXT4, saving one step.
Probably this step where the 5GB ubninit image is to be written to the SD card by a reboot on Retrostone2 is the problem and not the SD-Cards.
With the Rufus variant the writing is faster, you save the problematic reboot step on the Retrostone2 and you have directly an EXT4 partition (incl. RetroPi content) on the SC-Card.
You should try this and then adapt the "README 1ST" Thread.
While I thank you for the suggestion and add Rufus to our pinned thread, there is a misunderstanding in your post. Rufus, etcher, win32diskimager do the same thing. They all flash the 5GB image and create an EXT4 partition (you can check its contents in Linux or windows (with paragon extfs for example). What happens in the first boot is the SD resizing (Armbian firstrun scripts) and there is no need to reboot. Problem may happen in the resizing step due to SD quality and size(will take longer for larger SD).
(02-16-2020, 01:05 PM)alexkidd Wrote: While I thank you for the suggestion and add Rufus to our pinned thread, there is a misunderstanding in your post. Rufus, etcher, win32diskimager do the same thing. They all flash the 5GB image and create an EXT4 partition (you can check its contents in Linux or windows (with paragon extfs for example). What happens in the first boot is the SD resizing (Armbian firstrun scripts) and there is no need to reboot. Problem may happen in the resizing step due to SD quality and size(will take longer for larger SD).

For me it looked like the other Tools do two steps to the SD Card and on the first boot on the Retrostone this will boot the image and write it to sdcard and resize the card, but yes, maybe this is a misunderstanding.
Regardless of this, rufus works for me and with the other tools i have problems.
I have tested now some more SD Cards.
The RS2 can read/Write around 25MB/sec (18-34MB) on the SD Cards, does not matter if its the 16GB Cards delivered with the RS2 or a faster SD Card like the PNY Pro Elite 64GB which is UHS-I U3 A1 V30 and can read/write 100/90MB.
The boot duration is slightly different, the PNY is a bit faster, but that doesn't really make a difference.
On the other hand, the PNY seems to be a working, cheap and fast 64GB card.
Unfortunately I don't have a UHS-II or a UHS-I A2 card, they seem to be able to do a bit more IO, maybe that would give a bit more performance. Maybe someone else can test it.
Is there in RS2/Retroarch/Emustation... a benchmark test from the Menu? Then we could post here and list working SD cards including performance values.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSX Memory Card issue Bebef 5 2,036 06-04-2021, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Weird_1diot
Thumbs Down Retrostone 2 wifi and psx memory card Krempo 3 1,919 06-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Last Post: timespawn
  Black screen (shutdown) after boot: Don't use 128Gb card blazouf 14 5,471 02-20-2020, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Mika73