Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M.2 ssd
It worked! Thank you!
Hello,

I am having issues with my m.2 SSD.  It is not showing up at all in df or sudo disk -l.  It is brand new I am assuming it needs to be formatted.  I tried following the github guide for USB but I receive an error having to do with not being found in /etc/fstab.

Any advice on how I can get this mounted?  Is there a guide somewhere for installing the m.2 ssd and getting it set up for the retrostone 2 pro specifically?

Sorry but I have very little experience with Linux systems without a guide I am hopeless.

I appreciate any help.  

Thanks
Ok i figured it out why it wasnt reading my ssd. I had to get a caddy and format it as the drive was not allocated.

However, I am still having issues with moving my ROMS over to it and having retropie see them. I followed the USB github instructions but my SSD disapeared after so I had to reflash.

If the SSD is showing lets say as /dev/sda1 in desktop mode. What are the terminal commands to point my roms to that drive?
Add the following to /etc/rc.local (before exit 0) . Edit with "sudo nano".

Code:
if [ -b "/dev/sda1" ]; then
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /home/pi/RetroPie -o rw,user,exec,umask=0000,uid=pi,gid=pi

It will mount your drive before EmulationStation starts and read contents from it . 
Before you attempt , it's recommended to copy the current /home/pi/RetroPie/  folders (roms, BIOS, music, retropiemenu, splashscreens) to the root of your SSD so they will be read correctly next time you turn the retrostone on
(04-08-2020, 08:13 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Add the following to /etc/rc.local (before exit 0) . Edit with "sudo nano".

Code:
if [ -b "/dev/sda1" ]; then
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /home/pi/RetroPie -o rw,user,exec,umask=0000,uid=pi,gid=pi

It will mount your drive before EmulationStation starts and read contents from it . 
Before you attempt , it's recommended to copy the current /home/pi/RetroPie/  folders (roms, BIOS, music, retropiemenu, splashscreens) to the root of your SSD so they will be read correctly next time you turn the retrostone on

Is it possible to format the SSD from within the retrostone? Or does it need a caddy as mentioned above?
if its detected by system (shows up on the output of "sudo fdisk -l ") , yes
(04-09-2020, 05:35 PM)alexkidd Wrote: if its detected by system (shows up on the output of "sudo fdisk -l ") , yes

Right will need to acquire a caddy, is there any kind specific format that's best?
So I tried your instructions alexkidd. However, when I rebooted emulation station did work but it immediately prompted me to map my gamepad buttons but the RS2 buttons were not being recognized. I mapped them to my keyboard but the rooms still did not show.
that's why you have to copy the current /home/pi/RetroPie/ folders (roms, BIOS, music, retropiemenu, splashscreens) to the root of your SSD so they will be read correctly next time you turn the retrostone on. Retrostone controller driver is located in one of those folders.

you probably need to boot without the ssd , then mount it afterwards and copy the above files
I copied everything over using the Github instructions. I will try again and report back.