Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug report so far...
Bug 
Hi, 

I recived my Retrostone 2 (joystick version) 2 weeks ago, so i've been able to make some tests.

Here's my config test
  • Retrostone 2 joystick version
  • RetrOrangePi : RetrOrangePi_v4.3_Armbian_Retrostone2_PRO_bionic_dev_5.3.13_desktop_v3
  • the provided 16 Go SD card from 8bitcraft
  • a 256 Go SD card (Samsung EVO plus class 3 - same type of card i'm already using in another Pi 3 with Emulationstation)

The bugs i've encountrered or weird things i've noticed so far
  • 1st boot was a nightmare...basicly the unit was turning on but not the screen (even after waiting more than 15 minutes for the card to resize). After few unsuccessfull tries i've decided to open it and check if there was a loose connection, but nothing unusual. After puting the unit back together i've started it again with success...i don't get it but at least it's working now.
  • size DOES matter #1 : the bigger is your card the longer you'll have to wait at startup or shutdown (~1 minute with a 16 Go card and ~5-6 minutes with a 256 Go card)
  • size DOES matter #2 : uploading games on you RST2 will take longer with a bigger card (when using a 16 Go card i haven't noticed any problem when using "WinSCP" no "lost connexion" or anything, upload was fast and normal... when using a 256 Go card i had a lot of HUGE connexion lags or even worse for a 150 Mo upload)...but i'm having the same issue with my other Retropie 3b+ so i guess it's might be a software issue from Emulation station.
  • after playing for a while i stopted the unit and restarted it few hours later (without doing nothing more than just playing / shutting down  : background sound was gone and i've got an error message : retrorangepi lib pcm.c:8306Sadsnd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred. Since i haven't found anything to fix this problem i had to reinstall from scratch.
  • after playing normally for a while i stopted the unit and restarted it few hours later i had weird stutters on every games i played (but i didn't had this issue before). After restarting, disableling Wifi or even ethernet, i managed to find a "fix" to this problem. Pluging the ethernet cable to the unit removes the stutters... after 1-2 munutes if i play a game i can remove the cable and play normally for hours... this morning i restared the untit to play and got the stutters issue again...same method worked. I had the same issue on both SD cards and same method was used to fix it...but it's a temporary fix i guess, i'm not going to plug a cable everytime, it's boring Smile

Apart from that the project is nice, so i wanted to thank every little hands that make this project alive !

Because i love making UI icons i'm also going to make a special thread with additionnal arts i've made for Rukage themes (Famicom / NES / SNES) with all the icons for RetrOrangePi apps / config (and "Eazy Hax" apps too)...here's a sample :

https://ibb.co/f9wTC8L

https://ibb.co/XVP0yKZ

https://ibb.co/vP0dhNX

original icons where made by JonathanBall : https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/1301...menu-icons

Psychosteve
On first boot, sdcard is expanded to its maximum capacity, so yes, the bigger the card, the longer the wait. Also, from experience, Allwinner boards dont like cards bigger than 64GB, so anything above will be hit and miss, and it would explain worst performance. EmulationStation is just a frontend, i dont think it's related at all.

Audio buffer underrun occurs when there is high cpu or ram usage, but it should work after a reboot. Audio stuttering will occur whenever wifi is enabled, so it's disabled by default. If you enable it to copy games, disable it afterwards. If wifi is disabled and it's still stuttering, it's probably a cpu limitation on more demanding platforms. If you have more reproducible bug scenarios, open an issue in the github so we can try to fix.

Awesome icons!
You can send the complete artwork to retrorangepi@outlook.com and we'll be happy to add them to upcoming release in the works.
(05-07-2020, 02:59 PM)alexkidd Wrote: On first boot, sdcard is expanded to its maximum capacity, so yes, the bigger the card, the longer the wait. Also, from experience, Allwinner boards dont like cards bigger than 64GB, so anything above will be hit and miss, and it would explain worst performance. EmulationStation is just a frontend, i dont think it's related at all.

Audio buffer underrun occurs when there is high cpu or ram usage, but it should work after a reboot. Audio stuttering will occur whenever wifi is enabled, so it's disabled by default. If you enable it to copy games, disable it afterwards. If wifi is disabled and it's still stuttering, it's probably a cpu limitation on more demanding platforms. If you have more reproducible bug scenarios, open an issue in the github so we can try to fix.

Awesome icons!
You can send the complete artwork  to retrorangepi@outlook.com and we'll be happy to add them to upcoming release in the works.

Hy, 

I just had a new issue. Since yesterday i was playing games normally without any noticeable issue, then i started the unit yesterday and launch a game (as usual...nothing more). The game was unusually laggy so i quit the game and noticed some of my boxarts where missing on the onscreen the game list... i tried to launch another game but i had a long message...sorry i didn't took note of it but it was something like "cannot read itblock........", plus another message saying it couldn't parse a gamelist (but before this gamelist was working).

I turned down the unit with the UI menu and restarted it... with no sucess. Basicly it took ~20 minutes to show me a boot message (i took note this time) : 

Localhost login : Pi (automatic login)
login timed out after 60 seconds

...since it's looping trying to log in.

I don't know if my SD card is corrupted but i've been able to see the partition content using "DiskInternal Linuw Reader" and even been able to save some files (savegames) to my computer

Do you have any idea of what's going on or even if it's fixable... if not i'll re-install on a 64SD card this time (i guess this is probably due to the 256 i'm still using Tongue )

On another topic, i've sent you an email with a link to my drive for all the icons. I made some few changes (main and additionnal icons) and even made one for the "battery.sh" app just in case. Here are some samples : 

> Retrostone 1 : https://ibb.co/M5b43z0

> Retrostone 2 : https://ibb.co/2F5XVkQ

> Battery status : https://ibb.co/6wjR23r

Thanks  Wink
Love those icons , thanks!
about the issue, very likely it's the SD card, recommend installing the system in <64 GB cards, above it's pure luck
you can try to run fsck (filesystem checker) in a Linux OS, but i'm not confident it wont break again
(06-01-2020, 12:27 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Love those icons , thanks!
about the issue, very likely it's the SD card,  recommend installing the system in <64 GB cards, above it's pure luck
you can try to run fsck (filesystem checker) in a Linux OS, but i'm not confident it wont break again

thanks for the quick reply... i will switch for a 64 gb card, it's safer  Wink
Hello. I have Samsung 128gb Evo Plus Ultrafast card and it works fine. Only boot time is from 40 seconds to 1 minute which is a bit long, but otherwise everything works quite well.
Hi again.

I'm having an weird issue. I've been playing for a while without any problem, i stoped the unit the right way (with ES menu) then after few weeks without playing i restarted the unit and had a weird error message : https://ibb.co/T8G902T

It's not the first time for me to get this error message but usually restarting the unit (shutting down by pressing the power button then restarting) makes it go away... but not this time!

Now i vave this blocking message everytime i'm starting the unit... is there any way to fix this??
boot any Linux OS (works on a Live CD/USB session) and run fsck on the sdcard , something like "sudo fsck /dev/sda1"