Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow and laggy video previews
Is there a way to improve video previews? I'm currently using skyscraper for scraping images and videos to games and would like videos to play. I'm aware that they require some hardware so my question is, is the slowness caused by lack of power in RetroStone2 or is this something yet to be improved?
we're working on a new release that will use newer drivers, so there's room for improvement

as there is no hardware acceleration in framebuffer for the videos, they rely on A20 CPU (not too strong), so a workaround would be to reduce video resolution to 320x240 (max)
(05-27-2020, 06:18 PM)rolle Wrote: Is there a way to improve video previews? I'm currently using skyscraper for scraping images and videos to games and would like videos to play. I'm aware that they require some hardware so my question is, is the slowness caused by lack of power in RetroStone2 or is this something yet to be improved?
I use 320x240 and work well.
(05-28-2020, 12:04 PM)CISKO Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:18 PM)rolle Wrote: Is there a way to improve video previews? I'm currently using skyscraper for scraping images and videos to games and would like videos to play. I'm aware that they require some hardware so my question is, is the slowness caused by lack of power in RetroStone2 or is this something yet to be improved?
I use 320x240 and work well.

Do you have any reliable method to batch resize videos? Screenscraper seems not to have an option to get lower resolution videos...
Answering to myself. I made this oneliner that can be run under videos folder:

Code:
for i in *.mp4; do name=`echo "$i" | cut -d'.' -f1`; ffmpeg -i "$i" -s 320x240 -acodec copy -y "${name}2.mp4"; rm "$i"; mv "${name}2.mp4" "$i"; done

Works wonders  Cool
Created a bash script that checks if the video file is 320x240, if not, converts it. Useful if has to interrupt converting, so doesn't have to start over next time.

Use by cding to the ~/RetroPie/roms/<emulator>/videos folder first and then just run script (I have it at /usr/bin/convertvideos chmodded +x):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for i in *.mp4; do
   name=`echo "$i" | cut -d'.' -f1`;
   echo -e "\e[93mChecking ${i}...\e[39m"
   ffprobe -v error -select_streams v:0 -show_entries stream=width,height -of csv=s=x:p=0 "$i" | grep '320x240' &> /dev/null
   if [ $? != 0 ]; then
      echo -e "\e[95mFound out that ${i} is not in 320x240 resolution. Converting...\e[39m"
      ffmpeg -i "$i" -s 320x240 -acodec copy -y "${name}2.mp4";
      rm "$i";
      mv "${name}2.mp4" "$i";
   fi
   echo -e "\e[92m${i} checked.\e[39m"
done
Pretty cool, i think you can make a pull request on our RetrOrangePi git repo.
Just add a .sh extension to make sure it will show up as an option.
(06-09-2020, 06:09 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Pretty cool, i think you can make a pull request on our RetrOrangePi git repo.
Just add a .sh extension to make sure it will show up as an option.

Glad you like it! Sure I can make a PR. But RetrOrangePi structure is still a bit unfamiliar to me, can you tell me where to place the .sh file in the repo? Forked this one already https://github.com/retr0rangepi/RetrOrangePi
you can add the file to the main folder , push to the mainline branch (should be default already).
Feel free to push your custom SVG as well Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Video resolution change jblakes34 2 617 05-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  Alternative download link? Slow JohnnyPi 5 1,689 04-18-2020, 12:45 AM
  Some video’s of me playing some emulators Marco Verhoeven 4 2,235 02-21-2020, 01:28 AM
  Recommended video file settings for Kodi? Sayres_Law 5 1,424 01-28-2020, 05:03 PM