Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New challenger: piboy dmg on retropie4
Hi everyone ! I've just discover that new handheld on YouTube (https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG..._p_18.html) and it basically looks the same as the retrostone 2 (HDMI, several usb etc...) and runs on raspberry pie 4. I'm a beginner and I'm not able to see differences but you guys and girls, what do you think about that ? 

Thanks !
(07-29-2020, 09:32 AM)Mystiosis7 Wrote: Hi everyone ! I've just discover that new handheld on YouTube (https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG..._p_18.html) and it basically looks the same as the retrostone 2 (HDMI, several usb etc...) and runs on raspberry pie 4. I'm a beginner and I'm not able to see differences but you guys and girls, what do you think about that ? 

Thanks !

Hi, I am inquiring these days, the hardware seems to be superior to RetroStone 2, it even has an internal fan, the only thing that stopped me from making the purchase is the fear of taking the rip as the RetroStone 2, I want to wait for other opinions before buying it, especially for the software part ..
Software and perfomance much better than RS2, that doesn't perform well with many games of psx,snes,mame,etc,

Rpi 4 versus Rpi 2
I'm going to buy it, I hope not to get a rip off like the RetroStone 2 ..

things wrong with RetroStone 2,
-battery led not working,
-no audio in HDMI,
-unconfigured dreamcast keys, little support,
-processor slower than the previous one,
-high price,
-minor problems in the software,
-with much less I bought a rk2020.
(08-02-2020, 02:08 PM)999Nocturne Wrote: I'm going to buy it, I hope not to get a rip off like the RetroStone 2 ..

things wrong with RetroStone 2,
-battery led not working,
-no audio in HDMI,
-unconfigured dreamcast keys, little support,
-processor slower than the previous one,
-high price,
-minor problems in the software,
-with much less I bought a rk2020.
"battery led not working" i know this one is a bit annoying but for now you have an alternative with an app you can run to check the battery poucentage. You'll have to be out from a game to run it but at least it's better than nothing while waiting for a proper solution (if it's fixable)

"unconfigured dreamcast keys"...even if you are able to properly configure dreamcast controls you won't be able to smoothly run dreamcast games on this device (it can barelly run on a Pi3 and is improving on the Pi4). I don't think RS2 creators said the device could do it in any case.

"processor slower than the previous one" the concept of a rip off is to buy something that was supposed to be but at the end it's not... for the slower processor the creator said it was slower than the RS1 but why they choose it at the begining of the project... so you can't say you didn't knew it before backing up the project...and even if you bought it after the kickStarter campaign you still can compare both products on their website (or find lots of testing videos on youtube like ETA Prime)

"minor problems in the software" on that i agree with you BUT like the slower processor, the RetrorangePi team always said it was a WIP software in BETA... so even if it's having issues iit will improve in time but they never said it was otherwise
In the campaign there was talk of a processor that was less powerful but more performing for games, so if the processor for the RetroStone 1 was good, the one for the 2 had to be better, and instead it turned out to be quite the opposite for this I said it is a rip off, the things said did not turn out to be true, I understand the risk (but this time it went wrong). With a third of the money I could buy an RK2020 and play the same games ...